The joy of making things

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
DenisN

Re: The joy of making things

Postby DenisN » Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 am

Kitty Glitter wrote:
DenisN wrote:I do nerd stuff. I make 3d assets that end up in lithography projects and advertisements.
Interface elements (graphics, templates, etc)
Custom software add-ons, usually for connecting to or utilizing APIs such as Streamlabs or Twitch. For the purpose of people 'gamifying' their audiences. (earn points for watching, etc).

I do it because it's incredibly enjoyable Creating something new or enhancing upon something that already exists, or helping to provide a tool that might not have existed; allowing others to do the same (create).

Explain what you mean by 3d assets? Do you make these things and then send them off? Or do you get to see the lithographs being made? I took printmaking classes as an undergrad, and while they didn't offer lithography while I was around, they did have these beautiful stones that were left over from past years.

Any 3d mesh data. One client wanted to make a youtube ad that featured an airplane flying in the background trailing a banner of their product name. I made the plane with the cloth banner and they had another person or company put it into the footage. An idependent game company might need a few repeatable assets like back alley trash bins and clutter. So they buy some pre-made stuff off of me on a site Turbo-squid. A Twitch streamer might want an animated caricature of themselves to appear when someone follows or subscribes, I sometimes do that, usually with something like Live2D or more recently Euclid.

For lithography it's the same sort of mesh data with a bit more care taken for how the object will need to be printed. For example if someone wants a prototype to form a mold from it's going to be different than if they wanted to form something out of interconnecting parts after the print.

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:44 pm

I have bought a slow cooker recently and, with the aid of online recipes, have succeeded in making a tasty beef stroganoff. I have also finally managed to make pasta without destroying my kitchen.

So I think it is safe to say that I can, at long last, make food!

Which is good, as it looks like I will not have anyone to cook for me for the foreseeable future. :evil:
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Kitty Glitter

Postby Kitty Glitter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Reyazul wrote:I have bought a slow cooker recently and, with the aid of online recipes, have succeeded in making a tasty beef stroganoff. I have also finally managed to make pasta without destroying my kitchen.

Which is good, as it looks like I will not have anyone to cook for me for the foreseeable future. :evil:

I enjoy cooking for others! But remember, some people never open a fridge door much less cook :O you wouldn't believe me but I've seen it now :shock: so don't feel too bad. The chances that you get someone to cook for you are so so, but now you can cook for someone else! You're more marketable :lol:

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:39 am

Kitty Glitter wrote:
Reyazul wrote:I have bought a slow cooker recently and, with the aid of online recipes, have succeeded in making a tasty beef stroganoff. I have also finally managed to make pasta without destroying my kitchen.

I enjoy cooking for others! But remember, some people never open a fridge door much less cook :O you wouldn't believe me but I've seen it now :shock: so don't feel too bad. The chances that you get someone to cook for you are so so, but now you can cook for someone else! You're more marketable :lol:

I'm slim, fit, good-looking, and I can do a decent job of cooking and cleaning. If I were a woman, I'd have a dozen studly men begging to put a ring on it. Doesn't do much good for a man's marketability though I'm afraid. :?

Zakalwe

Postby Zakalwe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Reyazul wrote:
Kitty Glitter wrote:

I'm slim, fit, good-looking, and I can do a decent job of cooking and cleaning. If I were a woman, I'd have a dozen studly men begging to put a ring on it. Doesn't do much good for a man's marketability though I'm afraid. :?

Keep up the practicing. I'm fat & ugly and managed to land a wife based partly on my ability to cook. :D

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Zakalwe wrote:
Reyazul wrote:
Kitty Glitter wrote:

Keep up the practicing. I'm fat & ugly and managed to land a wife based partly on my ability to cook. :D

:lol: :lol:

Maybe I'll try to gain a level in culinary arts this weekend, in the spirit of the holiday...

Return to “On Topic”