America, here I come!

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
KiLL HAnnAH

America, here I come!

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Right, so I'll be in the US for the very first time ever in May for 3 weeks. I'll be in Chandler, Arizona for 2 weeks on a business trip, after which is when the fun really starts where I'm planning to spend a week sightseeing in both Los Angeles & San Francisco.

Anyone been to any of these places? Any advice/suggestions on what to see while I'm there, anything I should watch out for, any general advice in particular for a first-timer to the States? :mrgreen:

I don't think I'll be seeing much of Chandler as it's a packed schedule where I'm only free during the nights and on Sundays. Not that there's anything much to see there anyways as far as I can tell. For LA and SF, won't be driving and will be using public transportation. Planning to stay at Airbnbs or hostels, being on a budget and all that.

Diablo1399
Site Admin

Re: America, here I come!

Post by Diablo1399 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 am

I left the USA in mid-2001. I wonder how it's changed. . . .

If you're in California, you should definitely go to Disney Land. It's a lot of fun. You could easily spend a couple of days there.

Be aware that sales tax is not included in the sticker price. If something says it costs $1.00, the cashier will charge you $1.05. Also, don't forget to tip your waiter/waitress. 10% is what's usually expected. If you don't tip it means you thought the service was really bad.

Finally, don't ask for "the toilet". Ask for "the restroom".
Wasting your time since 2004.

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:01 pm

I generally don't go for theme parks unless there's really nothing else better to do. Always felt that the time spent on long queues for rides is time wasted that can be better spent doing something else. However, this is the original Disneyland, and so far I only have Santa Monica and Hollywood on my list of places to visit in LA, so I think I'll fit it into my itinerary if there's time.

Yeah, will definitely need to keep the sticker price and tipping in mind over there. Especially the tipping! Forgetting to tip is one thing, but a bigger worry for me is not knowing when to tip.

What's wrong with using "toilet"? Is it considered rude? It's common to use "toilet" over here, so that will be something I'll really need to keep in mind if it's considered bad manners.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:37 am

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:I generally don't go for theme parks unless there's really nothing else better to do. Always felt that the time spent on long queues for rides is time wasted that can be better spent doing something else. However, this is the original Disneyland, and so far I only have Santa Monica and Hollywood on my list of places to visit in LA, so I think I'll fit it into my itinerary if there's time.

Yeah, will definitely need to keep the sticker price and tipping in mind over there. Especially the tipping! Forgetting to tip is one thing, but a bigger worry for me is not knowing when to tip.

What's wrong with using "toilet"? Is it considered rude? It's common to use "toilet" over here, so that will be something I'll really need to keep in mind if it's considered bad manners.
I think people say restroom or bathroom but as an American, I really wouldn't be surprised if you asked for the toilet, maybe I'd chuckle. :lol:

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:37 am

Kitty Glitter wrote:
KiLL HAnnAH wrote:I generally don't go for theme parks unless there's really nothing else better to do. Always felt that the time spent on long queues for rides is time wasted that can be better spent doing something else. However, this is the original Disneyland, and so far I only have Santa Monica and Hollywood on my list of places to visit in LA, so I think I'll fit it into my itinerary if there's time.

I think people say restroom or bathroom but as an American, I really wouldn't be surprised if you asked for the toilet, maybe I'd chuckle. :lol:
*takes off Yankee Doodle hat and bows deeply* :roll:

DenisN

Post by DenisN » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 am

At Disney park, you'll have the utlimate experience of pre-registering for a line that you can get in on to wait in line for another line, ending in a 20 minute ride. I hope you enjoy your waiting experience.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I spent a day touring San Fran when I was stationed in California several years ago. The biggest draw of course is that large rusty bridge--can't miss it, it will be surrounded on each end by old people and Chinese tourists.

There's also Alcatraz, where you can probably get a souvenir t-shirt to take home and show your friends that you got off The Rock.

My fave part was the large Chinatown area. Lots of authentic Chinese cooking to be found if you want it. Most of the proprietors speak very limited English, so you know they know what they're doing.

Traffic is abysmal. I recommend getting an Uber for travel so you don't get in a wreck.

Oh, and if you visit Haight-Ashbury district, don't go into a public restroom alone.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:Yeah, will definitely need to keep the sticker price and tipping in mind over there. Especially the tipping! Forgetting to tip is one thing, but a bigger worry for me is not knowing when to tip.
As far as "when to tip", it's whenever (A) you're at a sit-down restaurant where a server is bringing you your drinks and food, or (B) you're at a bar and ordering alcohol from a bartender. I don't tip any other time as I reckon that I'm not being "served" enough to warrant it.
It's mildly rude only in that it leaves nothing to the imagination. If you ask for the toilet, then the other person immediately knows you're going to do something nasty. If you just ask for the "restroom/bathroom," they can at least pretend you're only washing your hands or something instead.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Now how are you going to publicize a trip like this and then not come back to say how it went?

The Dark Something or other

Post by The Dark Something or other » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Reyazul wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm
Now how are you going to publicize a trip like this and then not come back to say how it went?
What a selfish fucker. Unless (s)he died, that is. In which case, RIP.