Foreign Languages?

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
The Dark Something or other

Foreign Languages?

Post by The Dark Something or other » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:23 pm

So... anyone know any not-English languages? Is anyone learning any? Does anyone want to? It's kind of replaced computer games and wanking as one of my major hobbies nowadays.

Learning Spanish and Swedish fairly seriously, and I dabble in various other languages.

KiLL HAnnAH

Re: Foreign Languages?

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:06 pm

I can speak Hokkien (a Chinese dialect) and Malay, but otherwise I'm bad at picking up/learning new languages.

The only reason I can speak Hokkien and Malay is because Hokkien is my mother tongue and it's compulsory to learn Malay in school as it's our national language.

FireLily

Post by FireLily » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm fairly fluent in French (although it's been awhile since I've actively used it, so I'm sure I'm a little rusty), and I'm aggressively studying Japanese. I can read hiragana and some katakana, but as I only know the basics so far, I have no idea what the words actually mean most of the time, lol. If that makes sense. Maybe I should work on my English...

Diablo1399
Site Admin

Post by Diablo1399 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 pm

I won the French award in School, but that was like 15 years ago.
Wasting your time since 2004.

DenisN

Post by DenisN » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:30 am

I know enough Japanese to communicate like a Japanese person with downs syndrome. I've been using 'The Pimlseur Method' to learn the language. It's strange, you do a lesson, and stop when it tells you. You feel like you haven't retained much then you wake up the next day and it's in your brain forever.
I watched subbed anime and I can half understand what they're saying, but I'll occasionally have to check the subtitles.

Critique I've gotten from people who are actually Japanese is that I don't need to say 'excuse me' at the beginning of every sentence ever. Apparently both self teaching methods and schools teach you how to be polite to the point that it's unnerving.

Post by The Dark Something or other » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi Denis, Pimsleur's awesome. They need to start paying me, 'cos I seriously pimp out their shit. I love how it starts by playing you some gibberish foreignese, and then after 25 minutes you listen to the same convo again and understand EVERY FUCKING THING. Eliteness right there.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:18 am

I used to be semi-fluent in Spanish, and I memorized the Japanese alphabet in college, but both of those have left my mind for the most part.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:10 am

DenisN wrote:I know enough Japanese to communicate like a Japanese person with downs syndrome. I've been using 'The Pimlseur Method' to learn the language. It's strange, you do a lesson, and stop when it tells you. You feel like you haven't retained much then you wake up the next day and it's in your brain forever.
I watched subbed anime and I can half understand what they're saying, but I'll occasionally have to check the subtitles.

Critique I've gotten from people who are actually Japanese is that I don't need to say 'excuse me' at the beginning of every sentence ever. Apparently both self teaching methods and schools teach you how to be polite to the point that it's unnerving.
Pimsleur? It sounds promising but also not free. :roll: I picked up Italian and Portuguese in school, fooled a few Brazilians on the plane back :mrgreen: that felt nice. But I'd pick a non-romance language next, Japanese or Polish. Partly because of my crush on the CDProjekt guys. :cry:

Post by The Dark Something or other » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:56 am

Pimsleur? Just illegally download it. Nobody pays for Pimsleur.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 am

I'm pretty fluent in Spanish. I can use the pluperfect and future imperative and so on.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.