So what are you reading?

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
alisondre

So what are you reading?

Post by alisondre » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:28 am

Really. Not what you would like people to think you're reading :D

I'm re-reading Issola by Steven Brust. And waiting for the last Tiffany Aching to be delivered to my Kindle account.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Diablo1399
Site Admin

Re: So what are you reading?

Post by Diablo1399 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:00 am

I just finished reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling's pseudonym). Good crime thriller, but implausible at the end.
Wasting your time since 2004.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:48 pm

??? I hadn't realized that she was still writing under any name...

I really liked the Harry Potter books, at least the early ones, but she does seem to have a problem with endings. They just don't do much for me, in any case.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:04 am

alisondre wrote:??? I hadn't realized that she was still writing under any name...

I really liked the Harry Potter books, at least the early ones, but she does seem to have a problem with endings. They just don't do much for me, in any case.
that's what she said. :?

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 am

Gabriela wrote:
alisondre wrote:??? I hadn't realized that she was still writing under any name...

:evil:

You didn't post what you were reading!

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:19 pm

Still trying to find the willpower to complete Mein Kampf, but I find reading very difficult these days. I'll sit down and start reading and 30 or so minutes later, I'll be nodding off in my chair, having made very little progress at all. I've got a ton of good books on my shelf waiting to be read, but I may never get around to them unless reading gets easier again.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:54 am

alisondre wrote:
Gabriela wrote:

:evil:

You didn't post what you were reading!
reading this sorry forum and it's not getting any better :cry:

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:18 am

Reyazul wrote:Still trying to find the willpower to complete Mein Kampf, but I find reading very difficult these days. I'll sit down and start reading and 30 or so minutes later, I'll be nodding off in my chair, having made very little progress at all. I've got a ton of good books on my shelf waiting to be read, but I may never get around to them unless reading gets easier again.
I do a fair amount of reading in installments of 30 minutes or so too. It's one of the main reasons I mostly read fiction these days. I used to read a non-fiction book between each fiction, but I just get tired and fall asleep when I try to do the non-fiction these days.

I've really been looking for more of the "lovable rogue", or scoundrel with a heart of gold sorts of books. I tend to like them as light reading. Steven Brust or Carl Hiaasen are both good for that.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:21 am

alisondre wrote:
Reyazul wrote:Still trying to find the willpower to complete Mein Kampf, but I find reading very difficult these days. I'll sit down and start reading and 30 or so minutes later, I'll be nodding off in my chair, having made very little progress at all. I've got a ton of good books on my shelf waiting to be read, but I may never get around to them unless reading gets easier again.
I do a fair amount of reading in installments of 30 minutes or so too. It's one of the main reasons I mostly read fiction these days. I used to read a non-fiction book between each fiction, but I just get tired and fall asleep when I try to do the non-fiction these days.
I don't really have much interest in fiction reading anymore (I figure if I want a fictional story, I'll just play through one in a video game). But the 30-minute-ish blocks of reading are becoming a habit for me for sure now. Especially if I need something to get me drowsy before I go to sleep.

I've concluded that either Hitler is just a very clumsy writer, or the translator just did a poor job, so I'm shelving that one in favor of plowing through the mountain of books I bought over Christmas.

I just finished "The Prince" by Macchiavelli a couple of weeks ago. EXCELLENT book, both for the interesting historical anecdotes and highly practical leadership advice. Macchiavelli had the prudence to break his book up into 3-5 page chapters, kind of like a James Patterson novel, and the material was well-presented so as not to be a boring slog. Can't recommend it enough if you've got the mind for it.

I've been debating what I should tackle next. I was thinking about Macchiavelli's "Art Of War", but that looks like it might be a fairly dense volume. I might have to go with Sun Tzu's version instead.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Sun Tzu's Art of War is going to be a bit more intensive than I expected. I had always thought it was a book full of aphorisms, but there appears to be quite a bit more depth there between the simple sayings.

So for now, I'm moving on to Thomas Paine's "Common Sense", as that seems to be much better bedtime reading.