So what are you reading?

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
alisondre

Re: So what are you reading?

Post by alisondre » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Right now I'm re-reading When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger.

I have a hard time finding anything I like these days...
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:39 am

Reyazul wrote: I just finished "The Prince" by Macchiavelli a couple of weeks ago. EXCELLENT book, both for the interesting historical anecdotes and highly practical leadership advice. Macchiavelli had the prudence to break his book up into 3-5 page chapters, kind of like a James Patterson novel, and the material was well-presented so as not to be a boring slog. Can't recommend it enough if you've got the mind for it.

I've been debating what I should tackle next. I was thinking about Macchiavelli's "Art Of War", but that looks like it might be a fairly dense volume. I might have to go with Sun Tzu's version instead.
Reyazul wrote:Sun Tzu's Art of War is going to be a bit more intensive than I expected. I had always thought it was a book full of aphorisms, but there appears to be quite a bit more depth there between the simple sayings.

So for now, I'm moving on to Thomas Paine's "Common Sense", as that seems to be much better bedtime reading.
I think you might enjoy "How to Use Your Enemies" by Baltasar Gracián.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 pm

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:
Reyazul wrote: I just finished "The Prince" by Macchiavelli a couple of weeks ago. EXCELLENT book, both for the interesting historical anecdotes and highly practical leadership advice. Macchiavelli had the prudence to break his book up into 3-5 page chapters, kind of like a James Patterson novel, and the material was well-presented so as not to be a boring slog. Can't recommend it enough if you've got the mind for it.

I've been debating what I should tackle next. I was thinking about Macchiavelli's "Art Of War", but that looks like it might be a fairly dense volume. I might have to go with Sun Tzu's version instead.
Reyazul wrote:Sun Tzu's Art of War is going to be a bit more intensive than I expected. I had always thought it was a book full of aphorisms, but there appears to be quite a bit more depth there between the simple sayings.

So for now, I'm moving on to Thomas Paine's "Common Sense", as that seems to be much better bedtime reading.
I think you might enjoy "How to Use Your Enemies" by Baltasar Gracián.
That does look like an interesting one, if maybe a bit less noble than Macchiavelli if the reviews are anything to go by. I'll add it to my list.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 am

It seems as if I've read a review of sorts of Mein Kampf and the reviewer said he was a terrible writer. Like, comically bad sort of thing.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:22 am

I keep saying I'm going to re-read Gödel Escher Bach, but then I don't.

It's a very good non-fiction book about the mind. Mostly. Sort of.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm

alisondre wrote:It seems as if I've read a review of sorts of Mein Kampf and the reviewer said he was a terrible writer. Like, comically bad sort of thing.
Not comically bad, just very soporific...he gets bogged down in flowery academic writing on the most mundane topics, and before you know it your eyes are starting to droop.

He does occasionally sprinkle in some dry humor though, which sort of spells the sleepiness. There was one particularly good one about how Mussolini should have thrown the pope out of the Vatican, but I can't find it right now on Google search, which is unfortunate because it doesn't sound nearly as amusing when I describe it that way.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:05 pm

alisondre wrote:I keep saying I'm going to re-read Gödel Escher Bach, but then I don't.

It's a very good non-fiction book about the mind. Mostly. Sort of.
Great book. Gets a bit heavy on the logic and general maths sometimes though. I should really read it again.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 am

Metamagical Themas by Hofstadter is good, too.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 pm

alisondre wrote:Metamagical Themas by Hofstadter is good, too.
Errr, yes............yes it is.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 pm

I wasn't sure if you had read that one. I knew you had read GEB though...