WHERE IS EVERYONE!?

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
The Dark Something or other

Re: WHERE IS EVERYONE!?

Post by The Dark Something or other » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 am

Grammar Nazi wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:52 pm
Reyazul wrote:
Grammar Nazi wrote:
No pitter patter of tiny feet yet Dark?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would explain why he hasn't made any youtube vids in ages.

Come on, Bry. We need a new generation of linguistic snobs to carry the torch down the line.
Best be careful what we wish for here, I think. Wouldn't want an army of Dark Minors spamming up everywhere with idealistic notions of how stuff should be. Morrissey might be pleased though.
Yeah, that's what the world needs, another maudlin Morrissey loving twat.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:57 pm

The Dark Something or other wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 am
Grammar Nazi wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:52 pm
Reyazul wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would explain why he hasn't made any youtube vids in ages.

Come on, Bry. We need a new generation of linguistic snobs to carry the torch down the line.
Best be careful what we wish for here, I think. Wouldn't want an army of Dark Minors spamming up everywhere with idealistic notions of how stuff should be. Morrissey might be pleased though.
Yeah, that's what the world needs, another maudlin Morrissey loving twat.
You did actually convert me, after 16 long years. So you're already one twat ahead.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Post by The Dark Something or other » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah, but somehow you're lost to Epicureanism and Libertarianism, so I'm not wholly sure it's worth it. Plus, your taste in Morrissey/Smiths songs is shite.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 pm

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:17 pm
Yeah, but somehow you're lost to Epicureanism and Libertarianism, so I'm not wholly sure it's worth it. Plus, your taste in Morrissey/Smiths songs is shite.
I still have a certain fondness for them, and think there are aspects of both that are very good, but as whole systems I don't think they're practical enough to cleave to. In an ideal society, with high quality people around everywhere, it would be a different story. We don't have that luxury unfortunately.

And anyway, my favorite Smiths song is "How Soon Is Now?" which Johnny Marr himself said is their best song, so you can suck it. :evil:

Post by The Dark Something or other » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Epicureanism has got nothing to do with society. Epicurus told people to shun society, even. His philosophy is ALL about individuals fulfilling themselves within themselves with no real money or means available to them whilst living in a fucked up and imperfect world. So you clearly didn't do your Epicureanism homework if you think 'it doesn't work cos we don't live in an ideal world'.

Sure, believing that individuals shouldn't be aggressed against by anybody is too idealistic! LOL As if. The only freedom is that defined by classical liberalism and related schools of thought. Everything else is illusion or inconsistent.

That's an F for your report, Mr Azul.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:05 am

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:35 pm
Epicureanism has got nothing to do with society. Epicurus told people to shun society, even. His philosophy is ALL about individuals fulfilling themselves within themselves with no real money or means available to them whilst living in a fucked up and imperfect world.
That works to some extent if you are solely concerned with individual fulfillment. But then you run into two problems:

1) What's best for your own happiness isn't always what is best for your community/society/nation. Often quite the opposite. I realize there are many hardcore individualists out there (I used to be one myself), but I realized some time ago that I actually did care a great deal about my nation, my history, and my culture, speaking both as an American and as a European-descended westerner in general. And pursuing individual fulfillment would not contribute anything toward preserving those things which I cared about. The way I see it, Epicureanism only works if you either don't give a shit about the society around you, or you are fortunate enough to live in a society wherein everyone pretty much thinks like you do.

2) Even if you *are* a hardcore individualist, you still have to dwell in society *somewhere*, unless you choose to live off-grid in the woods like the itinerant shrubber (which I don't imagine is very "fulfilling"). If your society winds up trending in a direction which is not conducive to freedom and prosperity (say, if there is a rising groundswell of authoritarianism in the voter base, or if your country is getting swarmed with violent unassimilable folks from vastly different locales), then eventually, that society is going to force itself upon you and limit your ability to seek individual fulfillment. Thus, I reckon it pays to maintain an active interest in the outside world, even if you have to make some sacrifices.
Sure, believing that individuals shouldn't be aggressed against by anybody is too idealistic! LOL As if. The only freedom is that defined by classical liberalism and related schools of thought. Everything else is illusion or inconsistent.
Believing that is one thing; upholding it as a societal framework is quite another. It's a fact of the "free market" that the market only remains free up until such a time as an unscrupulous fellow or two decide to dominate everyone else and control the marketplace. Such is the case anywhere else in a hypothetical libertarian society...as long as there are morally flexible folks around, and there always will be, there will always be aggression initiated against others.

And that's not to mention that "aggression" is not necessarily "wrong" in every case. A healthy amount of coercion is required to keep a society running smoothly. I've variously heard my libertarian friends call out things like traffic lights, speed limits, homeowners associations, and anti-littering laws as unjustified initiations of force. But while I concede that such a view is soundly in line with the principles they espouse, I highly doubt I would be happy living in a society full of reckless drivers, garbage-filled streets, and neighbors who drag my property value down with god-awful ugly treatment of their own property. Among other things.
Your move, Bry.

Post by The Dark Something or other » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Grammar Nazi wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:40 pm
Grammar Nazi wrote:
Reyazul wrote: Indeed. His concert attendance might even be doubled.
Gonna send Dark an e-mail. God knows he's spammed me with some crappy political stuff in the past so it's only fair.

He replied and said that he'd bought a whippet.

HAHA Great to see what's being said about me in my absence. Make that TWO whippets, baby!

Instagram: @BAJParry

Post by The Dark Something or other » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Reyazul wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:05 am
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:35 pm
Epicureanism has got nothing to do with society. Epicurus told people to shun society, even. His philosophy is ALL about individuals fulfilling themselves within themselves with no real money or means available to them whilst living in a fucked up and imperfect world.
That works to some extent if you are solely concerned with individual fulfillment. But then you run into two problems:

1) What's best for your own happiness isn't always what is best for your community/society/nation. Often quite the opposite. I realize there are many hardcore individualists out there (I used to be one myself), but I realized some time ago that I actually did care a great deal about my nation, my history, and my culture, speaking both as an American and as a European-descended westerner in general. And pursuing individual fulfillment would not contribute anything toward preserving those things which I cared about. The way I see it, Epicureanism only works if you either don't give a shit about the society around you, or you are fortunate enough to live in a society wherein everyone pretty much thinks like you do.

2) Even if you *are* a hardcore individualist, you still have to dwell in society *somewhere*, unless you choose to live off-grid in the woods like the itinerant shrubber (which I don't imagine is very "fulfilling"). If your society winds up trending in a direction which is not conducive to freedom and prosperity (say, if there is a rising groundswell of authoritarianism in the voter base, or if your country is getting swarmed with violent unassimilable folks from vastly different locales), then eventually, that society is going to force itself upon you and limit your ability to seek individual fulfillment. Thus, I reckon it pays to maintain an active interest in the outside world, even if you have to make some sacrifices.
Believing that is one thing; upholding it as a societal framework is quite another. It's a fact of the "free market" that the market only remains free up until such a time as an unscrupulous fellow or two decide to dominate everyone else and control the marketplace. Such is the case anywhere else in a hypothetical libertarian society...as long as there are morally flexible folks around, and there always will be, there will always be aggression initiated against others.

And that's not to mention that "aggression" is not necessarily "wrong" in every case. A healthy amount of coercion is required to keep a society running smoothly. I've variously heard my libertarian friends call out things like traffic lights, speed limits, homeowners associations, and anti-littering laws as unjustified initiations of force. But while I concede that such a view is soundly in line with the principles they espouse, I highly doubt I would be happy living in a society full of reckless drivers, garbage-filled streets, and neighbors who drag my property value down with god-awful ugly treatment of their own property. Among other things.
Your move, Bry.
Fuck SAKE, man. I was hoping you were gonna make a wank joke. Now I am honour bound to answer this shit.

Try to remind, seriously, in about a month. After I've failed my thesis. 8-)

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:31 am

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 pm
Fuck SAKE, man. I was hoping you were gonna make a wank joke. Now I am honour bound to answer this shit.

I was tempted, but you have no idea how long I've been holding all that back. That's YEARS of thinking and mental transitioning summed up neatly there, that frankly none of my peers could grasp if they were even interested at all...but YOU have been where I was, so YOU can understand where I'm coming from, so YOU get to deal with my socio-political monologuing. Deal widdit.

As for reminding you, we will be lucky if I remember this in a week's time. Tony, remind me to remind Bry in a months time, please?

Post by The Dark Something or other » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:16 am

Reyazul wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:31 am
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 pm

I was tempted, but you have no idea how long I've been holding all that back. That's YEARS of thinking and mental transitioning summed up neatly there, that frankly none of my peers could grasp if they were even interested at all...but YOU have been where I was, so YOU can understand where I'm coming from, so YOU get to deal with my socio-political monologuing. Deal widdit.

As for reminding you, we will be lucky if I remember this in a week's time. Tony, remind me to remind Bry in a months time, please?
Jesus, I just typed out a long response and the fucking computer went insane and started speaking everything on the screen and my response disappeared GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH