The End of an Era

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Carsomyr

The End of an Era

Post by Carsomyr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Grammar Nazi

Re: The End of an Era

Post by Grammar Nazi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Nothing lasts forever. Not even OT.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:15 am

When the Rays sold the company, everything went downhill. Hell, what is the last game actually released by Bioware?? They were imho the best company out there. The graphics were great, the stories actually existed and some were pretty damn good, and the forums were awesome :D. I know I'm just a casual gamer, but that's what I think, and I don't think that a lot of the games being produced these days are interesting at all.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:43 am

alisondre wrote:When the Rays sold the company, everything went downhill. Hell, what is the last game actually released by Bioware?? They were imho the best company out there. The graphics were great, the stories actually existed and some were pretty damn good, and the forums were awesome :D. I know I'm just a casual gamer, but that's what I think, and I don't think that a lot of the games being produced these days are interesting at all.
Dragon Age Inquisition, I think? I'm looking forward to Andromeda whenever it comes out, at least.

Sad to see the forums die off for good, but really, they were dead in spirit a long time before now. Time to set them alight and free up the bandwidth.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:15 pm

alisondre wrote:When the Rays sold the company, everything went downhill. Hell, what is the last game actually released by Bioware?? They were imho the best company out there. The graphics were great, the stories actually existed and some were pretty damn good, and the forums were awesome :D. I know I'm just a casual gamer, but that's what I think, and I don't think that a lot of the games being produced these days are interesting at all.
EA corporate bullshit wins the day I'm afraid.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:49 am

Well, what I really don't understand is why they apparently no longer produce games. Why the hell would EA buy the company only to do absolutely nothing with it? I realize that I may be somewhat lacking in my understanding of corporate finance, and perhaps I'm underestimating the earnings made from the games already in the box, but it seems to me to have been a really amazingly stupid thing that EA did. They bought the company, neutered the forums, and then didn't make any games.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 am

alisondre wrote:Well, what I really don't understand is why they apparently no longer produce games. Why the hell would EA buy the company only to do absolutely nothing with it? I realize that I may be somewhat lacking in my understanding of corporate finance, and perhaps I'm underestimating the earnings made from the games already in the box, but it seems to me to have been a really amazingly stupid thing that EA did. They bought the company, neutered the forums, and then didn't make any games.
I dunno. I've not really been keeping track of what they do. Have they not done anything apart from DA sequels? Bit weird if that's the case. Got to say Bio were the masters at storytelling and general gameplay in their heyday, but I thought DA (decent game though it was) was the beginning of the end (but the EA purchase was the beginning of the beginning of the end really).

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:49 am

I haven't been there for almost a decade and personally for me the forum died when I could no longer log in to my account due to the hack of the NWN accounts back in 2011 and you needed to create a new account on their new server or something like that.

But it's still sad to see the forums closing down; I guess that's one of the effects of a company going mainstream/corporate.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:15 pm

We're all too old for that place now anyway :oops:

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Grammar Nazi wrote:We're all too old for that place now anyway :oops:
Be proud! You're part of the pioneers generation there. :mrgreen: