The End of an Era

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
User avatar
Grammar Nazi
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: somewhere they don't play NWN

Re: The End of an Era

Postby Grammar Nazi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:32 am

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:
Grammar Nazi wrote:We're all too old for that place now anyway :oops:


Be proud! You're part of the pioneers generation there. :mrgreen:


It was ages before I got into OT there. That was some fun times, especially on Sundays when there were no mods about.

User avatar
The Dark Something or other
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: The End of an Era

Postby The Dark Something or other » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Wow, that's fucked. Bio in financial dire straights or summat?

User avatar
alisondre
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 am
Location: I'm watching you.

Re: The End of an Era

Postby alisondre » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:58 pm

Grammar Nazi wrote:
alisondre wrote:Well, what I really don't understand is why they apparently no longer produce games. Why the hell would EA buy the company only to do absolutely nothing with it? I realize that I may be somewhat lacking in my understanding of corporate finance, and perhaps I'm underestimating the earnings made from the games already in the box, but it seems to me to have been a really amazingly stupid thing that EA did. They bought the company, neutered the forums, and then didn't make any games.


I dunno. I've not really been keeping track of what they do. Have they not done anything apart from DA sequels? Bit weird if that's the case. Got to say Bio were the masters at storytelling and general gameplay in their heyday, but I thought DA (decent game though it was) was the beginning of the end (but the EA purchase was the beginning of the beginning of the end really).

I downloaded KOTOR for my iPad a while back just as a sort of "why the hell not" sort of thing, it was $10 so why not? And it was really great! I ended up buying it for my PC too. That's what really got me back wanting to play games. But I have to say, I just don't enjoy any game I've played as much as NWN or KOTOR. Those are the two games I really liked. (And the expansion packs for NWN, too.)

But I didn't see any new games that Bioware has made last time I looked at their website. The website is pretty different than how it used to be, and maybe I missed something, but I don't remember any kind of new games listed. It seemed like they had released some expansions for some things, I forget what, but I could be wrong. I really don't know how they're in business still without anything to generate revenue.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

User avatar
Grammar Nazi
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: somewhere they don't play NWN

Re: The End of an Era

Postby Grammar Nazi » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:36 pm

alisondre wrote:I downloaded KOTOR for my iPad a while back just as a sort of "why the hell not" sort of thing, it was $10 so why not? And it was really great! I ended up buying it for my PC too. That's what really got me back wanting to play games. But I have to say, I just don't enjoy any game I've played as much as NWN or KOTOR. Those are the two games I really liked. (And the expansion packs for NWN, too.)

But I didn't see any new games that Bioware has made last time I looked at their website. The website is pretty different than how it used to be, and maybe I missed something, but I don't remember any kind of new games listed. It seemed like they had released some expansions for some things, I forget what, but I could be wrong. I really don't know how they're in business still without anything to generate revenue.


Well they do have a Mass Effect game in the pipeline which I only just found out about (and someone here mentioned). That will probably be a huge seller if they get it right (have you tried the original?).

I played KotOR once, got about a third of the way through, got wrecked by someone using the force, thought I must have messed my character up bigtime and never played it again. Really should give it another go.

User avatar
KiLL HAnnAH
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:15 pm
Location: Cave of Caerbannog

Re: The End of an Era

Postby KiLL HAnnAH » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 am

KotOR is an awesome game. Definitely the best Star Wars game released so far. I have only played it once, when it was just released, and I actually played the entire game without audio. :lol: There was a bug that caused my game to lag and stutter terribly, the patch to fix it wouldn't be out for some time still, and the only workaround at that point was to disable the audio entirely. I have always meant to play it a second time, this time properly with audio, but never got around to it.

User avatar
alisondre
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 am
Location: I'm watching you.

Re: The End of an Era

Postby alisondre » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:03 am

Grammar Nazi wrote:
alisondre wrote:Well, what I really don't understand is why they apparently no longer produce games. Why the hell would EA buy the company only to do absolutely nothing with it? I realize that I may be somewhat lacking in my understanding of corporate finance, and perhaps I'm underestimating the earnings made from the games already in the box, but it seems to me to have been a really amazingly stupid thing that EA did. They bought the company, neutered the forums, and then didn't make any games.


I dunno. I've not really been keeping track of what they do. Have they not done anything apart from DA sequels? Bit weird if that's the case. Got to say Bio were the masters at storytelling and general gameplay in their heyday, but I thought DA (decent game though it was) was the beginning of the end (but the EA purchase was the beginning of the beginning of the end really).

I looked at the forums a while back and didn't see anything I hadn't seen before, and then had a look on Wikipedia and there wasn't a game release listed for years and years. I forget what the last game release was according to that source, but like I said, years and years.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

User avatar
alisondre
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 am
Location: I'm watching you.

Re: The End of an Era

Postby alisondre » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:11 am

Grammar Nazi wrote:...Mass Effect game in the pipeline which I only just found out about (and someone here mentioned). That will probably be a huge seller if they get it right (have you tried the original?).

I haven't. That's one I think about getting, but I haven't yet.

Grammer Nazi wrote:I played KotOR once, got about a third of the way through, got wrecked by someone using the force, thought I must have messed my character up bigtime and never played it again. Really should give it another go.

You should! It got rated best rpg ever on lots of lists, and I liked it lots.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

User avatar
alisondre
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 am
Location: I'm watching you.

Re: The End of an Era

Postby alisondre » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:13 am

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:I haven't been there for almost a decade and personally for me the forum died when I could no longer log in to my account due to the hack of the NWN accounts back in 2011 and you needed to create a new account on their new server or something like that.

But it's still sad to see the forums closing down; I guess that's one of the effects of a company going mainstream/corporate.

I didn't even know about that. I haven't tried to log in there in ages!

I guess that account is lost to the mists of time...
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

User avatar
KiLL HAnnAH
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:15 pm
Location: Cave of Caerbannog

Re: The End of an Era

Postby KiLL HAnnAH » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:40 am

alisondre wrote:I looked at the forums a while back and didn't see anything I hadn't seen before, and then had a look on Wikipedia and there wasn't a game release listed for years and years. I forget what the last game release was according to that source, but like I said, years and years.


They were busy with Star Wars: The Old Republic the past few years. Too bad it's a MMORPG, which I have no interest in, as the game is set in the same era as KotOR which is my favourite SW era.

As mentioned before they've got Mass Effect: Andromeda due for release next month. Nothing after that but I presume they'll be continuing their focus on Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and SW:TOR, their three ongoing franchises which are doing pretty well. They actually announced a new game a few years back, Shadow Realms, but that was cancelled to focus on ME and DA, so that shows where their priority lies.

I miss RPGs set in the Forgotten Realms, I really like the lore of the FR.

User avatar
Grammar Nazi
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: somewhere they don't play NWN

Re: The End of an Era

Postby Grammar Nazi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:10 pm

alisondre wrote:
Grammar Nazi wrote:...Mass Effect game in the pipeline which I only just found out about (and someone here mentioned). That will probably be a huge seller if they get it right (have you tried the original?).

I haven't. That's one I think about getting, but I haven't yet.

Grammer Nazi wrote:I played KotOR once, got about a third of the way through, got wrecked by someone using the force, thought I must have messed my character up bigtime and never played it again. Really should give it another go.

You should! It got rated best rpg ever on lots of lists, and I liked it lots.


Thing is, the whole Star Wars thing never really gripped me like it did many others. But you are right, I should try it again and will do when I have a gap in my queue.

Edit - why am I referred to as GrammEr Nazi in the quote? Is this some kind of sick joke? :twisted: :twisted: :evil:


Return to “On Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest