The Donald

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Reyazul

Re: The Donald

Postby Reyazul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:02 pm

alisondre wrote:And the main thing is there is absolutely nothing you could say, Rey, that could possibly change my mind about Trump. So it seems pretty pointless to discuss it. I am doing you the courtesy of believing that you have considered the matter before making up your mind; I have certainly done so as well. So we will have to continue to (hopefully) respectfully disagree.

Well, we've made it this far, I don't see why that would change. 8-)

But that is the truth. The only thing that will change either of our minds now is experience, watching how things unfold from here. I can assure you that Trump is not unfalsifiable in my mind...there are things he can do, things he may actually do (or not do) that would cause me to lose faith in him and cease supporting him (in my personal life, anyway). I hope, if things actually do get better, that you will be open to a similar change of perspective.

alisondre wrote:But the thing is, in politics and so many other subjects, it's fucking hard to "respectfully disagree", isn't it? We ran into lots of that sort of problem in the old incarnations of OT. When you believe something, it's hard to discuss it at length with someone who believes differently without just, you know, hauling off and hitting them repeatedly with a wrench. Or at least yelling.

Well, yeah, but those were always the best sorts of discussions. For the peanut gallery I mean. :mrgreen:

Alas, if only I could have reunited Ramon and Blackrook.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

alisondre

Postby alisondre » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:55 am

Did people enjoy them then? For some reason I always had the impression that copious amounts of eye-rolling were involved on the part of the spectators.

Well, you're welcome. I guess.

:P
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:11 am

alisondre wrote:Did people enjoy them then? For some reason I always had the impression that copious amounts of eye-rolling were involved on the part of the spectators.

Well, you're welcome. I guess.

:P

I was way too raw in my politics back then to take part in many of those debates, but I was on the spot to read along with the more interesting/contentious debates. I think even the eye-rollers enjoyed it too, even if they won't admit it. 8-)
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

alisondre

Postby alisondre » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:22 am

I look back on those discussions with no small measure of confusion as to why in hell I participated.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Return to “On Topic”