Jobs from Hell </3

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Grammar Nazi

Re: Jobs from Hell </3

Postby Grammar Nazi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 am

Kitty Glitter wrote:You're both well past your expiration date. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGL2rytTraA

Video not available in your country :D :D :D 8-) :P

DenisN

Postby DenisN » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:50 am

I found, years back, that the solution to shitty jobs is to stop approaching work from a subservient perspective especially if you've got more than 2 years of experience in your 'field' and can no longer be considered as entry level. A very large amount of the problems people face at work are from being adverse to saying 'No'.

So management will naturally target those individuals with statements or requests that come across is orders rather than requests.

"Hey Jane, can you work overtime on Saturday?" Transforms into "Jane, we'll need you to work overtime on Saturday" When Jane was no more or less obligated in either scenario.

Same with salary negotiations. It's not a negotiation. You are telling them how much you are worth per year to have on retainer (under employment) performing the tasks and duties that THEY need someone to perform for them. You are providing them with a service just as much as they are providing you with consistency.

People need to start thinking of themselves as a business. a sole proprietorship perhaps when it comes to the world of being a standard employee.

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:09 am

While the general advice of "be more assertive" is good, there's the problem of making yourself look less dedicated to your craft depending on what the corporate culture is where you are. For example I've heard several horror stories about businesses which pretty much expect their employees to be available for emails/phone calls after work hours, and even to continue doing work during vacations. Saying "no" to overtime or extra hassles you don't like, when people around you do those things, can end up making management think you're less committed.

You've got to be a very valuable employee to be able to pull that stuff off. Even if you're not "entry level", most people don't pack that kind of clout.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

FireLily

Postby FireLily » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:25 am

Kitty Glitter wrote:So I recently ended an unhappy stint as a school secretary. I noticed my last two checks were short. They gave a flimsy excuse for the first one, but for the second one they said that Human Resources said my last day was 3 days sooner than it actually was. So now I'm on hold waiting for them to fix their shit, :cry: , it would've been a good job had the bosses not been incompetent assholes that liked to collect their checks, demean staff, and yet do nothing :P

What shitty jobs have you had? :roll: And what the ^%$*&#@ am I going to do with my life? :cry:

just kidding.

My job right now. I'm a store manager at Gamestop. :cry:

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:51 am

FireLily wrote:
Kitty Glitter wrote:So I recently ended an unhappy stint as a school secretary. I noticed my last two checks were short. They gave a flimsy excuse for the first one, but for the second one they said that Human Resources said my last day was 3 days sooner than it actually was. So now I'm on hold waiting for them to fix their shit, :cry: , it would've been a good job had the bosses not been incompetent assholes that liked to collect their checks, demean staff, and yet do nothing :P

What shitty jobs have you had? :roll: And what the ^%$*&#@ am I going to do with my life? :cry:

just kidding.

My job right now. I'm a store manager at Gamestop. :cry:

What's so bad about that? I thought that basically consisted of cackling evilly in the back room while customers get fleeced on their used games. ;)
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

FireLily

Postby FireLily » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 am

Reyazul wrote:
FireLily wrote:My job right now. I'm a store manager at Gamestop. :cry:

What's so bad about that? I thought that basically consisted of cackling evilly in the back room while customers get fleeced on their used games. ;)

Yes, but the cackling really does a number on my throat. The amount of throat lozenges I go through during a shift anymore is ridiculous.

KiLL HAnnAH

Postby KiLL HAnnAH » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:18 am

Kitty Glitter wrote:
Grammar Nazi wrote:Worked in a dairy whilst I was supposedly doing a Ph.D. It just consisted of continuously lifting 24 cartons of milk off a conveyor belt and putting them on a pallet. 12 hour shifts. What a laugh.

Tony as a milkman?! Oh Rey, there's the sequel to your short story. You could write a whole series of soft-core novellas loosely based on Tony's character :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nSt0q_Jfo

Return to “On Topic”