The joy of making things

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Kitty Glitter

The joy of making things

Post by Kitty Glitter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:45 pm

What do you make and why?

Reyazul

Re: The joy of making things

Post by Reyazul » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Kitty Glitter wrote:What do you make and why?
I don't make anything short of carbon dioxide and a liter or so of saliva each day. I'm more of the consuming type.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Beds, food (very basic), mistakes annnnnnd matchstick models of the Taj Mahal. :)

DenisN

Post by DenisN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 am

I do nerd stuff. I make 3d assets that end up in lithography projects and advertisements.
Interface elements (graphics, templates, etc)
Custom software add-ons, usually for connecting to or utilizing APIs such as Streamlabs or Twitch. For the purpose of people 'gamifying' their audiences. (earn points for watching, etc).

I do it because it's incredibly enjoyable Creating something new or enhancing upon something that already exists, or helping to provide a tool that might not have existed; allowing others to do the same (create).

Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:55 pm

I do enjoy cooking and do most of it in the house. I've also brewed beer, made sausages and bacon, and done some canning and pickling. Every now and again I'll get into a baking mood and make fresh bread for a couple of weekends.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:21 am

Grammar Nazi wrote:Beds, food (very basic), mistakes annnnnnd matchstick models of the Taj Mahal. :)
6004027359_ab8b923b1f_b.jpg
6004027359_ab8b923b1f_b.jpg (440.08 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Gimme your addy I'm gonna send you this eraser. :lol:

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:23 am

DenisN wrote:I do nerd stuff. I make 3d assets that end up in lithography projects and advertisements.
Interface elements (graphics, templates, etc)
Custom software add-ons, usually for connecting to or utilizing APIs such as Streamlabs or Twitch. For the purpose of people 'gamifying' their audiences. (earn points for watching, etc).

I do it because it's incredibly enjoyable Creating something new or enhancing upon something that already exists, or helping to provide a tool that might not have existed; allowing others to do the same (create).
Explain what you mean by 3d assets? Do you make these things and then send them off? Or do you get to see the lithographs being made? I took printmaking classes as an undergrad, and while they didn't offer lithography while I was around, they did have these beautiful stones that were left over from past years.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 am

Zakalwe wrote:I do enjoy cooking and do most of it in the house. I've also brewed beer, made sausages and bacon, and done some canning and pickling. Every now and again I'll get into a baking mood and make fresh bread for a couple of weekends.
That sounds wonderful. Cooking is a fun and sometimes meditative thing to do, I know I like cooking for others more than myself though. I've always wanted to learn how to bake bread. But I'm such a snob for good bread :lol: I grew up close to a bakery and you could smell the loaves baking at night in the wind, I think I was spoiled.

Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Kitty Glitter wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:I do enjoy cooking and do most of it in the house. I've also brewed beer, made sausages and bacon, and done some canning and pickling. Every now and again I'll get into a baking mood and make fresh bread for a couple of weekends.
That sounds wonderful. Cooking is a fun and sometimes meditative thing to do, I know I like cooking for others more than myself though. I've always wanted to learn how to bake bread. But I'm such a snob for good bread :lol: I grew up close to a bakery and you could smell the loaves baking at night in the wind, I think I was spoiled.
Check out The Fresh Loaf. Good place to learn instead of going out and buying a bunch of books.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Kitty Glitter wrote:
Grammar Nazi wrote:Beds, food (very basic), mistakes annnnnnd matchstick models of the Taj Mahal. :)

Gimme your addy I'm gonna send you this eraser. :lol:
I want it. Badly. Could hit some students over the head with it, amongst other things.