Children

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Kitty Glitter

Children

Post by Kitty Glitter » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:36 am

I have no kids of my own but I have three much younger brothers and I worry about them a lot. It feels overwhelming sometimes, and them dealing with the schooling part stresses me to no end :x

Reyazul

Re: Children

Post by Reyazul » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:36 am

I have no children yet but knowing I will have to deal with them eventually stresses me out. :P
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Kitty Glitter wrote:I have no kids of my own but I have three much younger brothers and I worry about them a lot. It feels overwhelming sometimes, and them dealing with the schooling part stresses me to no end :x
They're more resilient than you think so don't worry :D

DenisN

Post by DenisN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 am

I'm got two kids. Perhaps the experience is different for others but when my oldest first started leaving the house on her own I would start freaking out internally. Constantly peering out the window. Putting my jacket out by the door, keeping my keys and wallet in my pocket so I'd be ready to leave within half a second. Then I learned to chill the hell out.

The most nerve-wracking is when they're newborn. They cry every damn night. All night. Hungry? Cry, Moon aligned with Saturn? Cry. Then one night you hear absolute silence and you panic, running to their crib. But no, they're just not crying for the first time ever.

I had to brush up on a lot of basic school content that I just haven't had to think about for around 20 years so I wouldn't seem like a total tard when I was helping my daughter with home-work. But she naturally fell into the same strange study habit I did, which was to trail off and start doing content 2 or 3 chapters ahead of time 'because it was interesting'. So she usually doesn't need any help.

Often, I'll use it as an excuse to go do things together. For example rather than just explain a mathematical process on paper, we went to the local Space & Science center to see it in action. For social studies content if I know there's an example at the museum, we'll go there.

Which gets me thinking; I guess schools don't do field trips anymore? To many helicopter parents causing issues apparently.