The Return of the Ban

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Reyazul

The Return of the Ban

Postby Reyazul » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:49 pm

But with a few new changes.

Of note, Iraq has been dropped from the original list of seven from last time around, and the onus of stopping immigration has been shifted over to the overseas embassies, which due to some sort of legal babble will make the order more difficult for a judge to overturn.

I still think it's far from sufficient, but I think Trump was just in a hurry to get something passed and wanted to minimize the hoops he had to jump through. If this sticks, he might look at expanding it in the future.

What do you think? Will the order stand this time, or will it be successfully challenged like the first order? Do you agree or disagree with the necessity of the order in general?
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Diablo1399
Site Admin

Re: The Return of the Ban

Postby Diablo1399 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Travel restrictions should apply to individuals, not nationalities. Shouldn't be too difficult to root out the fundamentalists.
Wasting your time since 2004.

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Diablo1399 wrote:Travel restrictions should apply to individuals, not nationalities. Shouldn't be too difficult to root out the fundamentalists.

You would think, but the history of Islamic terrorism in the West is rife with examples of people who seemed "okay," but became radicalized while within western borders. If you can't read the future, this is the next best method to keep such people out.

Zakalwe

Postby Zakalwe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:17 pm

You have a higher risk of being struck by lightning than being harmed or killed by a "terrorist".

Reyazul

Postby Reyazul » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Zakalwe wrote:You have a higher risk of being struck by lightning than being harmed or killed by a "terrorist".

That is true, though it's a fact that certain populations produce higher rates of terrorism than others. And however rare those attacks may be, they have such a high potential for devastation that we should be actively taking precautions against them.

That being said, there are other reasons beyond terrorism prevention that I support these actions, though no matter the justification you use, Trump's list of countries is less than sufficient.

Return to “On Topic”