Easier Way to do data entry

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Kitty Glitter

Easier Way to do data entry

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:11 am

The union that my friend works for has this system of doing data entry that seems kinda slow. They get people to sign paper cards or forms with their names/jobs/contact info and then have to manually enter that info into an excel sheet. Then, they reorganize/sort all the cards/forms and return them to other people who refuse to use electronic versions (excel sheet) for their own record keeping.

What I think kills time is that it's tedious and the whole process starts over for every little new event, or pledge, etc.

Like for example now? They have 4-6 people working at a time on laptops making workbooks in excel,making a new sheet for each new location. You have to create/format the template every time cause there's no like master template floating around. Then someone comes around with a memory stick saves each worksheet, and then goes to upload it to a master workbook that I assume has a complete list of locations and the contacts from each.

SO.

Isn't there soooome way to speed this up? Apparently privacy is an issue so no Google docs, but can't files be shared across computer networks with the right pwd or something?

Idk. I'm woefully ignorant, but I think the process is too damn slow and there MUST be some way to improve it. They use this method for EVERYTHINg. does that mean there's just no way around it?

Zakalwe

Re: Easier Way to do data entry

Post by Zakalwe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Making it faster, easier, and more efficient would kill the need for a union in the first place.

Kitty Glitter

Re: Easier Way to do data entry

Post by Kitty Glitter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Zakalwe wrote:Making it faster, easier, and more efficient would kill the need for a union in the first place.
:lol:

Well I'd hope not.