Reyazul's World Tour 2019

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Kitty Glitter

Re: Reyazul's World Tour 2019

Post by Kitty Glitter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 am

Reyazul wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:26 pm
Right now my prospective plan is a few days in London, a few days in Scotland (probably Edinburgh, but maybe Glasgow), and a few days in Japan (likely Tokyo). If I reckon I have enough funds, I might stop in Vegas or another Pacific-side spot for a few days before returning home. I'm going to research prices this week and get my dates worked out. My itinerary will have to be finalized in the middle of next week so I'll let you all know the plan then.
share your prices when you do, just to know. i imagine you're super anal and will find all the good deals :lol:

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Kitty Glitter wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 am
Reyazul wrote:
Right now my prospective plan is a few days in London, a few days in Scotland (probably Edinburgh, but maybe Glasgow), and a few days in Japan (likely Tokyo). If I reckon I have enough funds, I might stop in Vegas or another Pacific-side spot for a few days before returning home. I'm going to research prices this week and get my dates worked out. My itinerary will have to be finalized in the middle of next week so I'll let you all know the plan then.
share your prices when you do, just to know. i imagine you're super anal and will find all the good deals :lol:
I actually just got my itinerary approved today, so I will share all the juicy details now!

So, the original plan was London-Glasgow-Tokyo, but I realized that flying to Tokyo would be a 35-hour trip and I'd be moving forward in time. So I'd essentially be pissing away over two days of my vacation, and that seemed like a gargantuan waste. So I am *not* going to Tokyo. East Asia will have to be its own little trip some other time.

Now I am going to London (landing in the early morning 18 JAN, leaving mid-afternoon 22 JAN), then Glasgow (22-27 JAN), and then I'm going to Dublin (27 JAN to 01 FEB). A two-week tour of the British/Irish Isles, essentially. Very much looking forward to it!

Bry, Tony, if you want to meet up then the optimal period would be from the 18th (Friday) through the 21st (Monday). That gives us a nice little weekend where work shouldn't be a huge hindrance to either of you (hopefully). Let me know what you think.

Gabs, the prices actually were quite nice for the flights I booked: just $1200 when I booked on Kayak. Had I tried to go to Japan, the prices would have jumped up to between $3000 and $4000...yet another reason not to go to Tokyo this time. Ouch!
i imagine you're super anal
You'd probably have to ask some of my exes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Surely you knew better than to set me up like that!)
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:09 am

Reyazul wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:18 pm
Kitty Glitter wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 am
Reyazul wrote:
I actually just got my itinerary approved today, so I will share all the juicy details now!

So, the original plan was London-Glasgow-Tokyo, but I realized that flying to Tokyo would be a 35-hour trip and I'd be moving forward in time. So I'd essentially be pissing away over two days of my vacation, and that seemed like a gargantuan waste. So I am *not* going to Tokyo. East Asia will have to be its own little trip some other time.

Now I am going to London (landing in the early morning 18 JAN, leaving mid-afternoon 22 JAN), then Glasgow (22-27 JAN), and then I'm going to Dublin (27 JAN to 01 FEB). A two-week tour of the British/Irish Isles, essentially. Very much looking forward to it!

Bry, Tony, if you want to meet up then the optimal period would be from the 18th (Friday) through the 21st (Monday). That gives us a nice little weekend where work shouldn't be a huge hindrance to either of you (hopefully). Let me know what you think.

Gabs, the prices actually were quite nice for the flights I booked: just $1200 when I booked on Kayak. Had I tried to go to Japan, the prices would have jumped up to between $3000 and $4000...yet another reason not to go to Tokyo this time. Ouch!
i imagine you're super anal
You'd probably have to ask some of my exes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Surely you knew better than to set me up like that!)
Tony can't reply right now, because he's been locked out of the forums. He sent me to reject your offer. Just kidding. He sent me to shake my fist at Diabs! :lol:

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:58 am

Well, if Tony can't make it to London, then I'll be crawling the pubs on my own. Bry has already informed me that he will be unavailable when I'm there, that rotten scoundrel.

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Nice, have a good trip Rey! And yeah, definitely does not make sense to fit Tokyo, that's just too much time spent travelling for one holiday. It would have been quantity over quality; your itinerary would have been too packed to spent any quality time at a single location.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:51 pm

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm
Nice, have a good trip Rey! And yeah, definitely does not make sense to fit Tokyo, that's just too much time spent travelling for one holiday. It would have been quantity over quality; your itinerary would have been too packed to spent any quality time at a single location.
Yes, and thanks!

I will attempt to keep a record of my adventures here once I leave. You'll all enjoy it in two months when you log in the next time.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am

Captains log star date 01182019:

Arrived at heathrow bright and early at 0700, and proceeded to spend a good hour and a half at customs. I was one of maybe 5 white guys in a line packed with hundreds of people. At the end, I grabbed my bag and made for the phone station to get my phone uk-activated, then got my Oyster card. After another hour and change spent on the slow as fucking turtles tube, I made the long walk to my lodging...where I am now waiting patiently for another hour for my room to be available. I need a shower, a shave, a brush of the teeth, and a change of clothes...but that will all have to wait. Ack!

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Stardate: later that evening

Got to my room finally and got cleaned up. I’m a good 10 minute walk from the nearest tube station, but that’s fine. The walking will do me good. I found myself completely overwhelmed by London and nearly shut myself away in the room for the day, but mustered the wherewithal to get out and literally wander around lost in London, hitting several sites by accident, which is good because that’s less stereotypical tourism I need to do in the coming days. I’ve been remarkably alert today despite not having slept in well over a day. Despite that I’m sure I’ll sleep like the dead tonight.

For lunch today I did kimchees, which is a neat little Korean fast food place. Currently enjoying fish and chips for dinner at poppies, since I’ve never had that before, not even during my previous tour. The portion here is huge, so apparently British restaurants are finally heeding my complaints about value for money.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Captain’s log: day 2

Had an awful time sleeping last night, so slept in till 8 and then grabbed breakfast at a little cafe down the street from the hotel. After that, I goofed it over to St James to see Westminster, then crossed the river and made my way to the beefeater gin distillery. Had a nice guided tour just now and am now finishing off my complimentary gin and tonic.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Captain's Log Day 2.5

Stopped at a Tesco minimart, mostly to see what the fuss was all about, but also to see if I could grab a souvenir bottle of Beefeater 24 or Beefeater Pink (neither of which I've seen in the States). If you're thinking I could have just bought that at the distillery, get real--it's a few pounds cheaper at Tesco. Unfortunately, the minimart had no liquor in stock, so I'll likely have to go to a full size Tesco to find it.

After a brief break in my room, I started an ill-fated search for dinner. I gravely underestimated how packed every place would be on a Saturday night, and the first five or so places of interest I went to were packed too full for me to get in. Much to my dismay, I had to settle for Five Guys, which, while good, is NOT what I was hoping to grab here. I can get that anytime at home.

Essentially, not a very exciting day. But tomorrow I have some actual plans, so hopefully things will improve.