Reyazul's World Tour 2019

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
Reyazul

Re: Reyazul's World Tour 2019

Post by Reyazul » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Captains log: day 4

Highlight of yesterday was going to the London tower and looking through all the artifacts and such housed there. I did that on my last trip, but I really do love that history and had to see it again. Afterward, I grabbed a mulled wine and drank it while I walked the London bridge. Plenty of good photos from that day.

Today, I started out buying coffee from a Canadian girl whose accent sounded suspiciously close to mine. No wonder people always think I’m from there. Bought some sleeping aids from Tesco and had Chinese for lunch, and now I’m at the prince of Wales theater to see The Book Of Mormon at Bryan’s suggestion. Ticket wasn’t cheap, but I’m in the third row so view is good. Already seeing more Americans here than I have at any other point in the trip so far.

Show’s about to start!
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 am

Reyazul wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:14 pm
Captains log: day 4

Highlight of yesterday was going to the London tower and looking through all the artifacts and such housed there. I did that on my last trip, but I really do love that history and had to see it again. Afterward, I grabbed a mulled wine and drank it while I walked the London bridge. Plenty of good photos from that day.

Today, I started out buying coffee from a Canadian girl whose accent sounded suspiciously close to mine. No wonder people always think I’m from there. Bought some sleeping aids from Tesco and had Chinese for lunch, and now I’m at the prince of Wales theater to see The Book Of Mormon at Bryan’s suggestion. Ticket wasn’t cheap, but I’m in the third row so view is good. Already seeing more Americans here than I have at any other point in the trip so far.

Show’s about to start!
aww I want pictures please, and enjoy the show but honestly, whipping out your phone in a theater Rey :evil: such poor manners :roll: :lol:

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 am

Kitty Glitter wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 am

aww I want pictures please, and enjoy the show but honestly, whipping out your phone in a theater Rey :evil: such poor manners :roll: :lol:
Pfft. I was in good company.

I'll see about pictures later. Right now i need to get some hydration and some lunch.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Captain's Log: Day 6

Yesterday I spent my morning packing, checking out of the hotel, and then using at least three different modes of transportation to reach the obnoxiously isolated Stansted Airport. Once there, I was luckily able to breeze through security and eventually got on my flight to Glasgow.

Upon reaching Glasgow, I saw snow covering much of the ground, and immediately became excited that I might get to enjoy some myself. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view) the city streets had been well-salted and there was virtually no snow on my ground route. Got to my hotel, a modern-design facility called CitizenM and unpacked my bags. Gotta say, this is maybe my favorite hotel I've ever stayed in. The rooms are small, but they make extremely efficient use of space, and all of the signs and guides have humorous stuff written on them. I wish I could find these back in the states...

In the evening, I enjoyed some curry at an Indian place up the road from me--my first curry in the UK, and some of the best Indian food I've ever had--and then went to a karaoke bar to sing and mingle. Once there, I immediately started up a bromance with two of the Scots seated by the bar, and we spent the rest of our time there jaw-jacking, buying each other rounds, and occasionally getting up on stage. Unfortunately, the bar closed early, so we made our way to another bar and drank even MORE, having some laughs with other folks seated around. I lost count of how many drinks I had--maybe ten at the very least, probably more--and paid for it a bit this morning as I had a bit of a headache for half the day. Would have been worse had I not drank water before bed, and if my dinner hadn't been so large. My two bold compatriots did, however, get hungover, and so I'll be going out again without them tonight.

Been here less than two days and this has already been the best leg of my trip. Got exactly what I was looking for last night, and hopefully more fun will be had tonight and the coming days.

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:53 pm

Nice to hear you're having a blast over there, pictures would be very much welcomed, and enjoy the remainder of your trip! :mrgreen:

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:58 pm

Captain’s log: Day 9

I’ve continued on in the same vein as my first day, exploring the city and going back to the same karaoke bar each night. The bar had been the highlight, as I’ve met a lot of good people there and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I’ve also been down to kelvin grove park, and the adjoining museum of the same name. This is a huge repository of art and history, both of Scotland and of the world in general. I spent several hours there when I visited, and got a lot of good pictures of historical artifacts and beautiful artwork. The best painting I saw there was Salvador Dali’s “Christ of St John of the Cross”—an absolutely stunning painting that’s a unique take on the otherwise overdone crucifixion genre.

I’ve also managed to snag some souvenirs, including a scarf with my clan colors and a fine bottle of scotch single malt whisky. I intend to grab some Irish whisky in Dublin as well, among my other souvenirs, as it’s very hard to get ahold of the really good authentic stuff back in the states. Given the rarity and the price, I’ll probably be saving these whiskies for special occasions.

As it’s my last day here, I’m going to make a point of getting haggis with my dinner, but it will likely be an early night for me as my flight to Dublin will be in the mid morning.

As for pictures...I’ll get to those eventually.😋

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 pm

What brand of whiskies did you get?

I googled the painting; first time I've seen it and yes, it is a beautiful painting and like you said, a refreshingly unique take on the genre.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm

KiLL HAnnAH wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 pm
What brand of whiskies did you get?

I googled the painting; first time I've seen it and yes, it is a beautiful painting and like you said, a refreshingly unique take on the genre.
I got a 12-year Glen Dronnach single malt from Scotland and a Dingle Batch 3 from Ireland, both look great but they'll be decorating my home for a while so I can justify what I spent on them. :P

Also realized just now I never did any updates for Ireland. Guess I never got around to it with all that was going on. I'll put a summary for that up when I post the pictures.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Fuck the whisky get some Stella down ya neck.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:05 am

Where the hell are the pictures? Did you meet up with Tony? I'm not satisfied with the coverage of the epic world tour!