What video game(s) are you playing?

A place to discuss anything. Please don't spam or derail.
alisondre

Re: What video game(s) are you playing?

Post by alisondre » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:28 am

I may even discuss Bioware a little bit...
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:31 am

...mostly cuz it was a bit of a relief to find someone expressing what I've been thinking.

WTF is wrong with game developers???

I think they and movie producers/studios are all making nothing but steaming piles of shit these days.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Zakalwe wrote: A physical copy? I suppose you still have books on shelves too, you artifact.
Yes, why the hell not. Don't read the books though. Got a gramophone powered by a turtle too.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:58 pm

alisondre wrote:...mostly cuz it was a bit of a relief to find someone expressing what I've been thinking.

WTF is wrong with game developers???

I think they and movie producers/studios are all making nothing but steaming piles of shit these days.
Well obviously it's all about making money now and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Also, the people who are making the games now aren't emotionally invested in the process like they used to be. Sad. Dark Souls is a good example. The first one sold itself on being a difficult game as did the second one. It had a sharp rise in popularity and what happens? Blammo the 3rd game was much easier and just basically crappier so that 12 year-old Fred could pick up any old substandard weapon and left click spam his way to victory. But sales were good so who cares?

alisondre

Post by alisondre » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 am

Well, mostly I think it's about a quick buck. It's a lot easier to throw out some random shooter or driving game or whatever. I think gaming companies just don't want to pay writers. I don't even know what games I can be bothered buying as a result.

KiLL HAnnAH

Post by KiLL HAnnAH » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:30 am

Speaking of video game annoyances, I've got a couple.

- It seems like a trend nowadays that everything needs to be open world to be good. Linearity is a sin, and open world is our saviour, for like the past 15 years now. I hate it when gamers/reviewers diss a game just because it happens to be linear. "Fuck all this corridors, I need wide open space to deal with my claustrophobia!". Linearity doesn't necessarily mean a poor game, nor does open world guarantee excellence.

One example that comes to mind is Final Fantasy XIII, a lot of people were complaining that it's too linear. For me the story was the main highlight and I did not think it's linearity hampered the storytelling in any way. In fact, I thought it was great that there was no distraction to the storytelling. Stick it in an open world and you might start getting bogged down in useless fetch quests, grinding and uneven leveling. Which brings me to my next point.

- Lengthy games (and meaningless side quests). Now that I have less time to game, I'm starting to dislike games that are lengthy for the sake of being lengthy. Which is a shame as I love RPGs and they tend to be the major offenders. I feel like I spend more time doing trivial stuff instead of advancing the meatier portion of the storyline. But due to my obsessiveness, I'm afraid of missing out on something interesting if I skip the side quests. These filler content also tends to cause uneven leveling, either being overpowered (Dragon Age: Inquisition) or causing you to grind so that your level is high enough to advance the main storyline.

I felt the first DA hit the sweet spot in that it had minimal side quests, while DA:I is filled with too much. It seems this is a consequence of gamers demanding for longer games, to give them more bang for their buck. And developers respond by padding their game with useless fluff.

- DLC. I don't like them because sometimes an interesting storyline DLC comes out months after I finish the game. I need to go through the hassle of reinstalling and re-acquainting myself with the game, just to play a few hours of extra content.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Well, gave in and bought ToN on Steam (Amazon can eat my fuck with their shipping prices). Anyway, about 4 hours in and having a good time so far playing a fighter type character. Only had one fight which I thought I had no chance of winning but managed to somehow, which felt good. Haven't got the faintest clue how to do most of the quests that I have, which is also good.

Grammar Nazi

Post by Grammar Nazi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:09 pm

alisondre wrote:I always play a thief :(
They seem very interesting to play in ToN. Definitely going to try playing one in my next playthrough (already chose fighter in this one).

DenisN

Post by DenisN » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 am

Grammar Nazi wrote:
DenisN wrote:I recently remembered that I bought Gauntlet on steam so I started playing an unhealthy amount of that.
But that game's been freely available for years. Unless they've somehow improved it (and I don't mean making the graphics pretty).
It's pretty similar to how it was. better graphics, I think the gear system is new (you collect gold on runs and buy better gear in-game to have an easier time going farther).

Like the originals it's a really fun game to play with others.

DenisN

Post by DenisN » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:10 am

I got a nintendo switch and I've been playing Zelda. My last favorite Zelda was 'A Link to The Past'. Ocarina of Time was okay. Didn't care for nearly everything in between. A Link Between Worlds was okay too. My new favorite is Breath of The Wild. I think it's pretty amazing. The switch was definitely released too early though. I haven't experienced any of the bugs others have but the fact that they're out there says it needed a few more months in hardware QA.