Depression

A place for your rants, ravings and spam. Little or no moderation.
Kitty Glitter

Depression

Post by Kitty Glitter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 am

I keep thinking I've reached the bottom and then the floor goes out from under me, again... and again... and again. I'm not interested in talking about particulars, I'd like to know how to move on. :lol:

Diablo1399
Site Admin

Re: Depression

Post by Diablo1399 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 am

I was diagnosed with depression some years ago. I had a great psychiatrist, and the medication helped.
Wasting your time since 2004.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Diablo1399 wrote:I was diagnosed with depression some years ago. I had a great psychiatrist, and the medication helped.
Did you start with a therapist first or did you start with a psychiatrist straight away? I know nothing, is that even a choice you can make? I would like to start seeing a therapist but I've heard my friends talk about therapy and it seems hit or miss. How do you know when it's a good fit?

Diablo1399
Site Admin

Post by Diablo1399 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 am

The first step was to see my general practitioner, who referred me to a psychiatrist. The GP might also refer you to a psychologist. The main difference is that a psychiatrist is a doctor who can prescribe medication, but you might be able to a psychologist more frequently, so they are both important. In Australia, I can see both of these professionals without out-of-pocket expenses.

As for what's a good fit, I would recommend you go meet with someone and just see how it feels. If they seem to be interested in your story and genuinely want to help, it's a good fit.
Wasting your time since 2004.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm

I reached out to several people, they apparently have waiting lists ! but one is in my area, takes my insurance, AND IS FREE! so we're sending emails back and forth because after being confronted with several voicemails i gave up the ruse that i was a functioning social being :lol: hope its okay if i post my progress on here. sigh -_-