Reyazul's Diary of Randomness, Volume XVIII

A place for your own personal journal.
Reyazul

Reyazul's Diary of Randomness, Volume XVIII

Post by Reyazul » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 pm

There will likely be no rhyme or reason to this, and I don't even know how often I'll be updating, but why not. I'll try to remember to color-code my titles to make things look more organized. Maybe something like:

Romance, or lack thereof

Thoughts and Musings

Miscellaneous Life Events

Film Reviews
Last edited by Reyazul on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh "I hope you catch genital warts you slut!!!!"
Dark "Now we know that Steph swallows, not spits."
Cars "I wouldn't do *anything*. I wouldn't rape someone or kill a bear."

Reyazul

Re: Reyazul's Diary of Randomness, Volume XVIII

Post by Reyazul » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:36 pm

The Week Ahead

I have unexpectedly found myself in the midst of a busy schedule; after having had two after-work social events last week, I've now got another one this Thursday, plus an after-work-date-turned-solo-karaoke-outing on Friday, and then on Saturday I will be dodging the regular workday to drive up to South Carolina to see a couple of my favorite bands in concert. I expect it would be best to write more about those outings as their respective days come up, lest I run out of things to say.

Singledom has been rough so far--I thought I had come a long way and made a lot of great improvements to myself since the last time I was single, several years ago, but even so I'm gathering exceedingly little interest from the women around me, whether in real-life social settings or in online dating. Despite my growing moroseness about the matter, I keep pressing on regardless. The Rubicon is so far back in my rearview now that I'm smashing my nose against the gates of Rome.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 am

Not So Busy

Tomorrow night's event got postponed till next week. This is for the best, as now I won't have to compromise my workout schedule to attend.

In other exciting news, I received my Ancestry DNA kit in the mail today, and I just returned home from mailing a vial of my precious saliva to the lab where we will determine for once and for all just what makes me me. The results will come back in 6-8 weeks, so it'll be a bit of a wait.

What bothers me here in the early stages is the imprecision of the testing. If you look at the 26 ethnic regions they give you data for you'll see that 9 of them are in Africa, while both Americas are compiled into a single "Native American" category, and East Asia is divided into just two parts (The Orient, and then Southeast Asia). Even in Europe, there are broad regions like "Western Europe" and "Eastern Europe" which don't seem to care about the distinctions between French and Germans, or Slavs and Romani, etc. And You can't possibly expect me to believe that there's such significant genetic variation in Africa that they deserve 1/3rd of the regions, while the rest of the world gets clumped together like so. Is it the case that there's just a shit-ton of black people taking these DNA tests while the rest of the races don't give a damn? I highly doubt it.

If I have "Western Europe" or "Great Britain" listed for me, as I'm sure I will, I'm going to want to know how much of that is French, German, English, Scottish, Welsh, etc. And it looks like I won't be getting that info. Oh well. Better than nothing I suppose.

Kitty Glitter

Post by Kitty Glitter » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Reyazul wrote:Not So Busy

Tomorrow night's event got postponed till next week. This is for the best, as now I won't have to compromise my workout schedule to attend.

In other exciting news, I received my Ancestry DNA kit in the mail today, and I just returned home from mailing a vial of my precious saliva to the lab where we will determine for once and for all just what makes me me. The results will come back in 6-8 weeks, so it'll be a bit of a wait.

What bothers me here in the early stages is the imprecision of the testing. If you look at the 26 ethnic regions they give you data for you'll see that 9 of them are in Africa, while both Americas are compiled into a single "Native American" category, and East Asia is divided into just two parts (The Orient, and then Southeast Asia). Even in Europe, there are broad regions like "Western Europe" and "Eastern Europe" which don't seem to care about the distinctions between French and Germans, or Slavs and Romani, etc. And You can't possibly expect me to believe that there's such significant genetic variation in Africa that they deserve 1/3rd of the regions, while the rest of the world gets clumped together like so. Is it the case that there's just a shit-ton of black people taking these DNA tests while the rest of the races don't give a damn? I highly doubt it.

If I have "Western Europe" or "Great Britain" listed for me, as I'm sure I will, I'm going to want to know how much of that is French, German, English, Scottish, Welsh, etc. And it looks like I won't be getting that info. Oh well. Better than nothing I suppose.
what made you get the ancestry DNA kit and not the 23andme?

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Kitty Glitter wrote:
Reyazul wrote:Not So Busy

what made you get the ancestry DNA kit and not the 23andme?
The price, mostly. 23andme is twice as much money, and from what I saw, they don't provide any more precise data on ethnic regions than Ancestry does. It *is* neat that they tell you about your genetic markers/predispositions, but I didn't think it was worth the extra $100. I pretty much know all of that stuff from my family's medical history, I didn't think I'd be seeing any surprises of note.

Have you used either service yourself?

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:52 am

Blah

Had a moderately shitty day at work, as due to a combination of system malfunctions and asshole coworkers, I was forced to stay after work for an extra 45 minutes. This of course made me quite angry, and it showed, but I remained remarkably civil when dealing with the people responsible for me staying behind.

One of those people is probably the least intelligent person I've ever encountered in my field, to the point where I think he must have just barely passed his ASVAB. But he's good-natured and respectful, so I make a point of not getting testy with him when he asks too many questions. It's like working with Forrest Gump. Today, he was very apologetic for my having to stay behind and promised a million times over that he would try to get the stuff on his end done as quick as possible, which I appreciated.

Afterward, I blew off some steam at the gym, and had a very good workout. In fact, I've been having steady improvement every time I've gone to the gym lately, which I'm enjoying greatly, since I know a plateau will be inevitable eventually. Today I managed:

-13 minutes of elliptical on level 4 at a pace of 91 RPM (if that sounds like gibberish, it means I have fucking thighs of steel)
-3 sets of 44 crunches
-3 sets of 20 ass-to-ankles squats
-3 sets of 16 pushups (still working on getting back to my old strength there, it's not easy)

Now, I just need to finish my laundry and then I can finally go to sleep.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:28 am

Change Of Plans

Well, I *was* intent on going to karaoke tonight, but at the last minute my coworkers decided to do an impromptu get together at a local pub, so I went there instead. Had a good time--I'm a totally different person outside of work than I am at work, and I think it's good for them to see that. I had three glasses of a lovely dark beer with 10% alcohol content, and it was divine--thankfully I knew my limit and was able to drive home safe.

There was only one female there, who I would have hit on profusely, except that it's against the rules of my workplace. So I exercised some extremely good restraint, I thought, considering how lustful I've been of late. Alas, if only that one bitch hadn't flaked out on our agreed-upon date. I know it was not a mistake on her part, because she didn't text me asking why I didn't come. She not only flaked, but she pussed out on canceling our arrangements. But, I'll get her yet! She will surely be returning to that karaoke bar next weekend, as she said it's a haunt of hers. I will go next weekend, and she will regret passing me over as soon as I start singing some Chris Isaak! I will make that bitch squirm in her chair! Hahahaha!

Probably going to tuck in early tonight to catch up on sleep.Tomorrow I do my road trip to South Carolina to go to the concert! Should be a good time!

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Just arrived in Charleston after a miserable drive. Roughly 40 minutes till the meet-and-greet, and then the concert itself! I will try to post pictures. Because I know you all care.

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Concert summary: Collective Soul, Our Lady Peace, and Tonic

As I said before, the drive was miserable (Charleston has the worst traffic I've ever personally driven through). But all my bad feelings dissipated when I finally got into the venue. As a VIP ticket holder, I got some sweet freebies: a tour shirt, a tote bag, and an Our Lady Peace poster signed by all the members of the band! I bought a frame for it earlier today and will be looking to put that up later.

I also got to meet the band! They were all very cool guys, but I was a bit too starstruck to say anything more than a small introduction before we got to the picture:
OLPpic.jpg
OLPpic.jpg (136.71 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Yes, I know I have a stupid look on my face. This is what happens when I'm forced to smile for a staged picture.

Then the show got underway, starting with Tonic, of "If You Could Only See" fame. They had a surprisingly awesome set, as I don't really consider myself a Tonic fan, but I loved their performance. At the end of their set, they alerted the audience that this summer is the 20th birthday for their aforementioned greatest hit, so they got the whole stadium to sing along to the final chorus. Ordinarily I would have considered that extremely gay, but in this case, the mood was right and it was a sweet way to cap things off.
OLPpic5.jpg
OLPpic5.jpg (12.45 KiB) Viewed 789 times
And then came the act that I came to see: Our Lady Peace! They played all of their hits and a couple of fan-favorites that weren't official singles, and hit on their new material as well. I just wanted to hear them play "One Man Army," which they did. I was probably annoying the people next to me with my singing, but I didn't care. In all they probably did about 10 songs, and they were on point on every one of them:
OLPpic6.jpg
OLPpic6.jpg (158.53 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Reyazul

Post by Reyazul » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:36 pm

After their set, the bassist and lead guitarist threw their guitar picks out into the audience. Fortunately, being that I was their biggest fan and all, Steve Mazur made a straight-line toss to me and I wound up with this:
OLPpic4.jpg
OLPpic4.jpg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 789 times
After that, we had a rain delay of roughly 20 minutes, which sucked because the venue had a curfew, and that meant that Collective Soul had to cross some songs off their setlist. I had been hoping to hear them play "Listen," but that didn't happen, so I blame mother nature for that. They did, however, make the most of their roughly 8-song set, hitting on most of their better-known songs. Pretty much everyone was singing along to "Shine" the whole way through. Ed Roland, after 53 years of rock-and-roll living, is now starting to look a bit grandfatherly, but his showmanship was superb, gliding around the stage like Michael Jackson on acid and belting out the notes with the same force as he did 20 years ago. Performance-wise, Collective Soul had the best set of the night; I just wish the rain hadn't cut them short.
OLPpic2.jpg
OLPpic2.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 789 times
As an encore, everyone from all three bands came out to perform "Run," with full crowd participation, which was an awesome way to wrap it all up. I got my money's worth and more out of that show, and it was worth all the misery of driving to and from Charleston. If OLP or Collective Soul come around next season, closer to where I am, I'll have to try and see them again.
OLPpic3.jpg
OLPpic3.jpg (94.18 KiB) Viewed 789 times